Bike crash saves father's life (photos) | Welcome to Linda Ikeji's Blog

LI_Leaderboard_4

LI_Leaderboard_1

LI_Leaderboard_2

LI_Leaderboard_3

Thursday 3 September 2015

Bike crash saves father's life (photos)

A father-of-five credits a cycling accident with saving his life - after a deadly tumour the size of melon appeared on his neck just days later. Simon Nutting, 39, from Walsall, West Midlands, flew head first over his handle bars while cycling home on April 30. Days later, the self-confessed fitness fanatic began to suffer with a stiff neck, which his doctor diagnosed as a sprain from his fall.

 
But within a week a lump had grown - and within a month he was diagnosed with an aggressive soft tissue cancer - Ewing's sarcoma.

Mr Nutting, a support worker, believes the smash saved his life, as doctors have warned the cancer - which lay dormant - may have been untreatable if found any later.
He said: 'I couldn't believe it when a lump the size of a melon had grown on the side of my neck overnight.
'I did a double take when I saw my reflection in the mirror.
'Two days after my bike accident I had a stiff neck, but never in my wildest dreams would I have thought it was cancer.'
He said his diagnosis was such a shock because he considered himself to be in peak physical health - exercising regularly and cycling to and from work every day.
Mr Nutting added: 'I have five wonderful children and I didn't care what it took, I just wanted to get better for them.
'It's so scary to think that if I never had the bike accident the sarcoma would still be undetected today.
'Now I'm responding well to chemotherapy and know I'm going to kick cancers butt, not just for me but for my beautiful wife and kids.'
Mr Nutting's tumour was left crushed as a result of the tumour growing so quickly - so he started treatment straight away.

He is now on his third cycle of chemotherapy and must have three more before doctors can perform surgery to remove any of the remaining tumour.
He said: 'It hasn't been an easy journey but I'm not giving in.'
He described how he nearly died a few days into his first cycle of chemo after having a bad reaction which meant his blood wouldn't clot.
He now weighs just eight-and-a-half stone after losing more than three stone in eight weeks.
'After my bike accident I got up and initially thought I had just a few grazes, I can't believe how much has changed in a few months.'
Mr Nutting was cycling home when he had to brake suddenly. 'I'd recently changed my brake pads so my bike came to a halt and I went head first over the handle bars,' he said. 
His wife Emma, 29, a full-time mother, has now started fundraising to help her husband and their children as he an no longer work and provide for them.
She said: 'My husband is such a loving, selfless man who always puts others first and now I want to help him.
'He's been through so much in the past four months and I want to take as much pressure off him as possible.

'We would never normally ask for anything from anyone but I've set up a gofundme page to help us keep our heads above water until Simon can return to work.
'It's been a devastating time for us all and I'm so proud of Simon, he's fought the cancer every step of the way.'
Mr Nutting was misdiagnosed countless times due to Ewing's sarcoma being so rare.


Source: UK Daily Mail

34 comments:

AbokiDaWarriBoy said...

Wow, thank God for his life.

Unknown said...

a.k.a EDWIN CHINEDU AZUBUKO said..
.
Thank God he survived though......
.
.
***CURRENTLY IN JUPITER***

livingstone said...

thank God for u sir....

Unknown said...

Okay nah

Bonita Bislam said...

Choiiiiii what kinda tumour is this? It's twice the size of a pumpkin in my village.Should I say thank God for the crash? Hmm God is great!

OSINANL said...

Thank God for his life...

ary said...

Gosh he was lucky, a blessing in disguise.

Unknown said...

May God give you permanent healing in Jesus name, amen.

STERN said...

Aww quite sad. May God see you through..

AQO said...

Speedy recovery I wish him.








Jesus is Lord.

Unknown said...

Sigh!

Blog It With Olivia said...

Aiit










#it WiLL OnLy gEt BeTTEr
#It mUSt EnD iN prAiSE

Unknown said...

Ummmmm congrates





Aunty linda

Unknown said...

Ummmmm congrates





Aunty linda

Unknown said...

Ummmmm congrates





Aunty linda

SMURF said...

Sometimes accidents alert u to other conditions you might have.

Unknown said...

tnk God

Anonymous said...

Thank God for saving his life
BelieveAll Blog

Unknown said...

That Is Good for his life

Important!  Do this tonight if you care about your brain

NaijaDeltaBabe said...

Abi o

I B M bolubantin said...

Thank GOD for him

Unknown said...

All things works together for good for those that trust in the Lord. Linda take note!

Anonymous said...

Every cloud has its silver lining.

Unknown said...

Oluwa got his back

Aunty linda biko

mikkyjanec said...

It is well with him.

Unknown said...

Thank God for his life and I wish him safe recovery in adv. Its well wit his life and family members.

bummyla said...

Thank You Lord! http://www.bummyla.com

Queen Tea said...

MY GOD WILL MEET YOU AT THE POINT OF YOUR NEED. HE WILL SURELY ADDRESS YOUR CASE SOONEST, AND IT WILL END IN PRAISE. AMEN

Oluwadamilola said...

Can you imagine, he looks twice older now..

Unknown said...

Alhamdullilah!

Unknown said...

Thank God for his life....

Soda Queen said...

Look at the size of that tumour!!!! Truly in every dark cloud, there's a silver lining. Glad he's responding to treatment. Good luck mon.

Unknown said...

In every condition we find yourself we should always give God thanks

Unknown said...

It's cool for a wife to have such to say about her husband.... Kudos to him.

Recent Posts